Frequently Asked Questions


FLYBYSCHOOL is the commercial trademark of Fly Bai S.L: of Spain. Fly Bai is an Approved Training Organization registered with the Spanish Civil Aviation Authority (AESA) with registration number E-166. AESA is member of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and the license issued is valid in all EASA member countries; UK, Germany, France, etc.
With many years of pilot training expertise, FLYBYSCHOOL provides training of the highest quality to student pilots. FLYBYSCHOOL offers an integrated course which includes CPL, ATPL, ME IR and MCC which combines ground school courses and flying training delivered in accordance with the EASA and AESA requirements.
Where is FLYBYSCHOOL located?
FLYBYSCHOOL main operations base:
Univerity of Leon - School of Enigneering
Campus de Vegazana, León
Burgos - Flight Operations
Burgos airport
Carretera de Logroño 107 09007 Burgos
How can I find out more about training with at FLYBYSCHOOL?
Once you have reviewed all of the information available on this website, we would recommend that you book a visit to our School: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Suitability for Pilot Training

What academic qualifications are required?
Pilot admission testing will be conducted prior to any course commencement. Subjects covered are Personality, English, Mathemathics and Physics.
If Personality test is not passed, no training can be offered.
What are the eyesight requirements?
Requiring correction to your vision is not automatically disbarring from a career as an airline pilot. The requirements are that distant visual acuity, with or without correction, shall be 6/9 or better in each eye separately and binocular visual acuity shall be 6/6 or better. For an initial examination the refractive error shall not exceed +6 diopters. For more information we recommend that you contact an approved Aeromedical Centre (AEMC).
What about color blindness?
Having some form of color blindness does not necessarily prevent you from having a career as an airline pilot, providing you can pass acceptable color perception tests (predominately Red/Green perception). For more information we recommend that you contact an approved Aeromedical Centre (AEMC).
Are there height restrictions?
There are no height limits that will affect you qualifying for a civil professional license. But if you are particularly short or tall, less than 5'2" (157cm) or over 6'6" (200cm), you would be well advised to clarify which aircraft you would fit into and be able to reach all the controls comfortably. This would identify whether your height would limit your career prospects in the future.
How can I find out if I am suitable for pilot training course with FLYBYSCHOOL?
First check to see if you meet our entry criteria listed in our entry requirements. Before you can enroll at FLYBYSCHOOL, you will attend a pilot assessment process. This assessment is designed to assess an applicant's overall suitability for the pilot career. It typically comprises different aptitude tests. The results of this assessment will give you the best indication regarding your suitability for a career as a pilot.
Will the training be different if I am male or female, or if I am an international student?
Everyone that meets the minimum entry criteria may apply. FLYBYSCHOOL maintains equal opportunity standards that prohibit discrimination based on gender, race, religion, age or national origin. With regard to non-EU cadets, being accepted in our course, means you will be able to apply for a student visa. So far, our success record is 100% in obtaining visas for our students.



What does it consist of?
The FLYBYSCHOOL Integrated course takes students with little or no previous flying experience, to a Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) with a Multi-Engine Instrument Rating (MEIR) referred to as the 'frozen' ATPL. Also included at the end of training is a Multi Crew Co-operation (MCC). From this point, pilots can then be employed as a First Officer with an airline where they will need to obtain the Type Rating on the aircraft they will be flying.
Graduate pilots with a 'frozen' ATPL are free to train onto any aircraft type and to fly for any airline that will accept their EASA license. Most airlines will initially assign new First Officers to "short haul" fleets so they can build experience in the more demanding departure and approach phases of flight. Once an ATPL holder has gained 1,500 hours experience, the ATPL becomes 'unfrozen' and they are then eligible to be considered for promotion to Captains.



How much will flight training cost?
The price of the course is inclusive of VAT, all training, accommodation, meals, landing fees, etc. It does not include transportation to and from point of origin. In order not to incur in additional costs, the student just needs to maintain good progress.
How can I raise the money for training?
FLYBYSCHOOL has agreements with banks and financial institutions that can provide loans. Students on the integrated course would be eligible to apply, but are also recommended to approach their own bank.
    Students from Spain
    • Banco Santander: euribor + 4% Meritxell Rosell This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • La Caixa: euribor + 4% Jorge Huerga This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • BBVA: euribor + 4% Aitor Santurtun This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Banco Sabadell: Fixed 6.5% Iztiar Salaberri This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    Students from Turkey
    • Denizbank: Özlem Çakir This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Pilot Job Market

How much will I earn as a pilot?
There are many variables when starting your career as a professional pilot but, broadly, it greatly depends on the airline you are working for, the type of aircraft you are flying and the region of the world you are flying.
In the European market a rough estimate for a pilot flying for a small regional airline initially could earn €30,000 per year. A first officer working for one of the larger European airlines could earn between €45,000 and €55,000 per year. Some airlines will take back the cost of the initial Type Rating, usually from the first years' salary. Experienced captains flying long-haul aircrafts could earn as much as €150,000 per year. Salaries tend to increase with each year of service with a company.
Does FLYBYSCHOOL provide help to its graduates to secure pilot jobs at the end of training?
​​There are two different types of ATP Integrated courses: cadet and self-sponsored.  FLYBYSCHOOL is working towards having active cadetship programs although we currently do not offer such programs. Cadet programs are conducted in conjunction with airlines where selection process is conducted by both parties and students are offered a job after successful completion of their training.
On the other hand, self-sponsored students decide to commence their training without any airline process approval, therefore there is no guarantee of a job offer. Being said this, FLYBYSCHOOL will try to facilitate job interviews through our network of contacts to those students that have excelled at their training.
Do I need a medical certificate before I start?
The simple answer is yes; No medical = No License. The initial medical can be completed at any EASA approved Aeromedical Centre (AeMC) but it is strongly recommended to do it in Spain. Cost of this medical is included in our fees.
For non-EU students, it would be advisable to attend a local medical assessment for a local equivalent of a Class 1 Medical to avoid wasting money before training can commence.
Ctra. de Logroño, 107, 09007 Burgos